Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Favorite Things

Spirea Bush "Judy's Pink"

“Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens…” as the Rodgers and Hammerstein My Favorite Things song goes.

Some of my favorite garden web sites:

davesgarden.com Free weekly newsletter - $18 a year for full access

sfheart.com/flowers.html Flower legends

birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds All about birds

illinoiswildflowers.info Illinois wildflowers & weeds

butterfliesandmoths.org/ Butterflies & moths of N. America

whatsthatbug.com Bug/insect identification & information

plants.usda.gov/ Plant information

web.extension.uiuc.edu/state/ University of Illinois Extension site

On-line sites:
Basic caution: Everything on the web is not necessarily true or ethical. Never exchange financial information unless you are SURE it is a reputable site.

Dave’s Garden has comprehensive reviews by it’s members of garden sites.

Nothing is more frustrating than ordering what you hope is a beautiful plant and it arrives the size of a baby cricket and half dead. Only use proven sources.

On the other hand, you can find those unusual hard-to-locate items.

Do your homework before ordering on line, including the hardiness zone, the shipping fees, replacement policies and guarantees.

Once in awhile, I’ll take a chance on an e-Bay plant sale. First time, order small in case it doesn’t live up to expectations.

If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is…

Buy Local:
I buy most of my large items, annuals and common perennials locally. I like to buy local where size and cost equals long term survival.

Some local nurseries provide a guarantee if they deliver and plant or landscape your purchases. If you aren’t able to do your own work, your unsure of how to plant, or you are spending large amounts, it may be worth the additional charge for labor.

You know the merchant, they know you, if they care enough to have good quality and service, you should care enough to help them stay in business. Their success is your success.

“When the dog bites, When the bee stings, When I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things, And then I don't feel so bad.”

No comments:

Post a Comment