Saturday, March 13, 2010

White Flower Farm Nursery

Image of heirloom tomatoes from the White Flower Farm web site.




I'll be inserting a few short stories about some nurseries (catalog, on-line and local) that you may want to investigate this Spring. Sometimes it just worth a good read and look.





I'm not endorsing any of them for any reason other than information and looking. Should you decide to buy, it will be at your own risk and following your own investigation. With that laid out, here we go on the first.





I sign up for e-mail notifications from certain web based nursery outlets, garden blogs, and public gardens. Today, I'll talk about "White Flower Farms".





I don't usually buy annuals and very few perennials from web based sources (daylilies being the exception.) My own personal reason is I want to see the plant, touch it and determine if it's worth the money. With the additional cost of shipping, the potential for loss is greater than I'm usually willing to risk. Some folks have done this for years and are most happy with the results.





My advice, if you haven't previously used the source, carefully read EVERYTHING in their conditions/policies/descriptions. Then only order one relatively inexpensive thing the first time. There are also several places you can investigate their reliability: http://www.davesgarden.com/ has ratings and reviews on just about any nursery and garden supply store, both on line and other.





White Flower Farms has a great web site, it's easy to maneuver, beautifully designed, and has loads of other information. Today's e-mail notice from WFF, focused on tomatoes.





I can tell you I was almost salivating as I looked at over one hundred types available. They do a good job of putting them into categories which allows even easier shopping. Most are available in seeds and plants.

Seriously, is there any tomato lover that isn't dieing for a slice of home grown tomato right now? When you compare production greenhouse/shipped tomatoes with fresh from-the-garden, it's like comparing cardboard to caviar.

WFF typically has some varieties of vegetables that I've never been able to find locally.

White Flower Farm, opened in 1950, and is located in Litchfield CN. Check out their site for tours and programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment