Thursday, January 2, 2014

Feeding the Multitudes

Momma perched on 
my hose guide.
We're having a cold winter this year, regular ground-covering snows and the birds are at the feeders in huge numbers.

Usually I fill the three bird feeders and one corn feeder once a week; a little more when it's really cold and snow covered.  This year it's almost every day.

We have loads of various kinds of sparrows - all chirping and excited.  Finches, jays, doves, chickadees, and woodpeckers are regulars.

American Cardinals are spectacular this year.  I've always had several cardinal families - probably because I feed both corn and sunflowers and our woods has many thickets perfect for nesting.  This year they are in abundance.  So abundant I've been tempted to take photos and more photos.  I've given in to temptation in a big way.

What is it about the cardinals in the snow?  Is it the contrasting color?  The spot of brightness in the otherwise neutral winter pallet?  A subconscious Christmas artwork inspiration?  Whatever the reason it pulls most birdwatchers like no other.

Here are a few photos I've taken over the last couple of weeks.  Believe me I've spared you from the other two zillion - you're welcome.

This big guy had a tail feather sticking up crooked.
    
A Morning Dove and male cardinal roosting 
during yesterday's heavy snow storm.

This little tree is in the right place for them 
to keep an eye on both feeders.
At one time yesterday, there was seven cardinals in this tree.
Double click on any image to get the up close and personal look.

No comments:

Post a Comment