Thursday, April 14, 2016

Wild and Crazy



Let the fun begin!
How can you tell if you have a gardening addiction?  When you’re thinking of getting IT, your heart beats faster as if you’re running for the finish line.  You experience a kind of euphoria in anticipation of having IT.  You become blinded to rational constraints; a sort of tunnel vision.  Once you have IT, you want more.  You rationalize that you need IT.  You sometimes spend more money on IT than you should.

Sound all too familiar my gardening friends?  Let me share:
 
The old walnut in all it's grander.
We had to have our largest and oldest walnut tree cut down because it had become a danger to lives and buildings.  We mourned the loss.  And then!  And then, I realized it was an excellent opportunity to have a new garden bed.  Wowzer and kick in that gardening addiction!

Yes, I started breathing faster and my heart was racing.  Was it sugar or garden addiction?  That burst of energy gave me all kinds of thoughts about making, moving and designing.  I was blinded by the fact it would take lots of physical work especially considering there had to be a huge mass of roots to contend. 

Another rationalization was I would simply move things I had and it wouldn’t cost a dime.  Ah yes, rationalization of the finest kind.

First, I asked the forester to leave the stump about four feet high.  And now it was time to “encourage” my good husband into the whole process.  He enjoys designing building projects and so little by little I showed him fairy houses made from tree stumps.  See my garden blog for a picture of the end result. 

I had to be pretty darn ruthless with the existing Comfrey that had surrounded the walnut for years.  Comfrey is an old heirloom plant that is beautiful for about half the summer and a real invasive ugly pain the other half.  It has spread and this patch will not be missed.
Old walnut showing the damage.

Once I had killed (hopefully) the comfrey, I had a blank circle except for the existing daffodils.  Good to go!  Perhaps this is where tunnel vision married rationalization.  Those daylilies that had eventually become too shaded could be moved, it was a chance to get some new daylilies (because one never has enough) and having all this outside my computer room window and off the back porch was an added bonus.  Seriously, I was doing this for the masses, for the love of gardening and alas - for my garden addiction.

It’s been gently suggested by one of my sweet family members that I may want to consider downsizing my gardens in preparation of getting too old and feeble to care for them properly.  Plus, is a yard full of perennials, bushes, trees and things a home selling point or a home selling deterrent?
 
Comfrey around the old walnut.
To date, I’ve tried to consider the suggestion and right now I’m thinking gardening and the beauty are some of the things that keep me going – although perhaps painfully going.  Planning and improving my gardens gives hours of good brain activity.  (I know!  I know! Rationalization!) 

I know from past experience (both mine and my garden friends) that seldom does anyone buy a home and have the same likes as the prior owner.  That goes for both inside the home and the grounds.  They buy a new home with their own set of loves and visions and seldom does it include what’s already been done.

I follow several old home sites and the comments substantiate this.  A few will fall in love with the total package.  Most others will wax on about what they would change and how could anyone be so stupid as to do such and such.  I do hope whoever buys this home from us in the future will have our vision and love of old homes and gardens but if not, so be it.  With a few exceptions, a lawn mower set on low and grass seed will return it to the simple yard it hasn’t seen in years. 
I call this my blank canvas.

I’ve been around too long to suppose my garden will become a nationally protected garden heritage site.  Seriously, it wouldn’t become that even if I paid off the judges.  It’s not that big of a deal but it is the deal I enjoy today with visions of what it will look like for that little patch where the old walnut had stood.

Maybe next year I’ll consider paring down my beds – ha ha ha ha ha ha – Oh gosh that’s a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment