Friday, April 27, 2018

Garden Rationalizations at Their Best

“Only fools view their gardens in monetary terms…. 
The real point of a garden is to increase the value of our lives.”
Anna Pavord, British garden writer,
The Curious Gardener, 2010

Aw yes, every gardener can use rationalization and they come aplenty!

Rationalization:  Many perennials cost about the same as a nice geranium, an annual ornamental grass or many other annuals we lavishly put in pots and borders and mostly dump in the fall.  We are surely being frugal by spending that amount on a plant that will come up yearly.  

Rationalization:  A bag (or thirty) of daffodils bulbs planted in the fall is like free plants in the spring.  

Rationalization: Planting a tree (or hundreds) is planting for future generations.   The money we spend on trees is actually philanthropy.  Shouldn't it be tax deductible?   

Rationalization:  Is one enough - is a thousand too many?  Never!    

Rationalization:  Everyone loves my yard and gardens!  

Rationalization:  I'll only buy a few plants for my pots.

Rationalization:  These nurseries are locally owned; I need to support each one.

Rationalization:  I'll just change out the color on a few of my pots.

Rationalization:  I'll only pull one weed.

Rationalization:  I can control that ground cover.

Rationalization:  It's suppose to be a wet summer, I'll plant lots of impatiens.

Rationalization:  It's suppose to be a dry summer, I'll plant lots of succulents.

Rationalization:  Wouldn't a little gold fish pond be serene!

Rationalization:  I don't think the water pump needs any extra wiring.

Rationalization:  Those two-year old seeds are still viable.

Rationalization:  My soil can wait another year before it's amended.  

Rationalization:  I'll dig out that weed tomorrow.

Rationalization:  I'm sure "spreads freely" doesn't mean invasive.

Rationalization:  Cold Zone classifications aren't really all that important.

Rationalization:  If you build it - they will come.

Rationalization:  I'll dump the soil out of that pot before it freezes and breaks.

Rationalization:  My unheated garage is perfect for wintering annuals.

Rationalization:  My spouse/kids will want to work along side me in the garden.

Rationalization:  Oh look there's a cute little rabbit.  

Rationalization:  The tag said "deer resistant".

Rationalization:  My cat is always fed and full, it won't bother birds.

Rationalization:  If I get this done today - I'll never have to do it again.

Rationalization:  Spraying insecticide on a few plants won't really hurt the bees.

Rationalization:  The wind isn't blowing that hard/I'll put down Round-up.

Rationalization:  I can control a controlled burn.

Rationalization:  We can do that ourselves.

Rationalization:  Discount items/services are always a better buy.

Rationalization:  Isn't that tree with three different varieties of flowers perfect.

Rationalization:  I know it was grown in Florida but I'm sure it will still grow here.

Rationalization:  The sun isn't that hot, I'll go without my shirt, sunglasses, hat.

Rationalization:  I love sitting outside and watching the crop dusters.

Rationalization:  My dog/cat never eats outside plants.

Rationalization:  A suntan makes my skin look so much better.

Rationalization:  This article won't be all that long.


No comments:

Post a Comment