Friday, June 24, 2016

Daylily Season #4

Hemerocallis "Primal Scream" in my garden this morning.
First bloom on a newly planted lily. 
"Primal Scream" Oakes Daylily web site
I loved "Primal Scream" from the first time I saw it at nurseries but it was always in the $50 range which is more than I want to pay.  This year, on my spring trip to Princeton, Illinois, Hornbaker Gardens, they had it potted up for $15.  Now it's gracing my new Fairy Garden bed and it was so huge and bright it screamed for attention all day.

Hybridized by C. Hanson in 1994.  It's a 7 1/2 inch bright orange, gold dusted with radiating gold eye.  Somewhat ruffled edges.  Curling petals.  34 inch scapes.  Mid-late season bloomer.  Dormant.  Tetraploid.  Diurnal.  Bloom:  Unusual form - Crispate - Cascade.  

Honors include the Stout Silver Medal 2003 - Lambert Webster award for Outstanding Unusual Form 2001 - Award of Merit 2000 - Honorable Mention 1997 and People's Choice 2013.

This lily has only been in my garden for less than a month and it was rather a dreary early morning for picture taking.  The future will be gloriously bright for this pretty one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment