Saturday, January 5, 2019

The Homies

My 2018/19 Amaryllis

"Raise your hand if you have a sweaty butt!"

I'm pretty sure you've never heard that as the first sentence of any article anywhere.  I have this sweet and incredibly funny six-year-old granddaughter.  And the story goes:  It was an especially cold winter Illinois day and my two granddaughters and I were headed to a nearby town to Christmas shop.  The girls love the seat heaters and asked if they could have them on high.  Sure.  About fifteen miles into the trip, Kady asks the above question.  It got quiet and then we all broke out laughing and all hands went up.  Little children - love them.

Now:  Raise your hand if you've ever bought a big box store Amaryllis, Christmas Cactus or Poinsettia!

The reason I only say big box store plants is because they are so cheap.  I agree the ones from nurseries are more hardy, larger and so very beautiful.  And I do buy them some years for all those reasons.  But, then I feel so responsible for their continuing life.  The pressure of being responsible!

If I pay between $5-10 for a plant, I can almost consider it disposable.  It's less expensive than a Starbucks coffee, a fancy Christmas ornament, a  pre made bow - you get the rationalization.  If I choose to baby it for a couple of years and it actually works - great.  If I'm sick of the whole mess, I can dump it with little regrets.   If I happen to leave the bare bulb in the basement for five years - well, you get the picture.

Here are some of the beauties I've bought cheaply over the years.  They are also some of the beauties I've enjoyed exceptionally over the years.





NOTE:  If you like pictures of blooms with a dark background, take the picture at night using your flash.  This works both inside and outside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment