Thursday, April 2, 2009

Two Lips are Lovely

Parrot Tulip

Should I talk about tulips in the spring when they bloom or in the fall when they are planted?

I'm so excited to see how fast they are growing that I must talk about them now!

Although it is pure drudgery to be planting bulbs in the late fall, I have never once regretted a spring flower. The color and form simply bring that needed thrill after a dreary February and March.

I've bought the hand operated round bulb planters, the ones attached to electric drills but find a shovel works best in all but the tightest places. Bulbs look best when planted in mass so simply taking a few shovels of soil up, laying down bulbs and a quick cover works for me.

I find the trick is remembering where I planted them and not dig them up in the middle of summer when I'm looking for another place to put lilies.

My favorite tulip is currently the "Angelique", a beautiful semi-double pink. I have always thought I'd color coordinate my tulips like the public gardens, but, I can never resist a sack of cheap beautiful bulbs no matter the color.

I have bought the large expensive (for me) spring flowering bulbs and they are exceptionally big, sturdy, and long lasting. I'm also not above a bag of late-in-the-season big box store sale bulbs. 

Especially daffodils. Have you ever seen an ugly daffodils? Me either!

Spring flowering bulbs can be planted anyplace that isn't overly wet. They will rot in standing water. Planted under deciduous trees, they get all the sun they need before the trees leaf out.

A few rules: Plant the depth recommended. Don't pack the soil down tightly. Mulch. Don't cut, tie, mow or pull the dieing leaves until totally brown and laying on the ground. This is how they get their nourishment for next year's blooms. They must have a season of cold (either in the ground or in the freezer). The pointed end must be up.

A few informational bits: Some tulips and daffodils are fragrant. Both last a long time cut and in a vase a water. Experiment with some of the lesser known spring flowering bulbs - they are so beautiful. Many will multiply.

No comments:

Post a Comment