Sunday, October 10, 2010

Katisue

Today, 10-10-10, is one of my granddaughter's birthdays.  I have the above daylily, Katisue, in her honor in my family bed.

Hemerocallis Katisue is not widely sold and I'm not sure why.  I had found it at Oakes Daylilies and by the time I decided to buy one the next Spring, they no longer listed.  I contacted them, they still had a few and sold one to me. 

Because of it's size, Katisue looks best when it can be near the front of a bed and not crowded.  The scapes stand about 26 inches and the flowers are 2 3/4 inches.  Flower measurements are only across the top of a flower - not neccessarily from tip to tip.  Since Katisue has curled petals and sepals, the measurement is smaller.  It is a nice deep yellow brushed with a little cinnamon color. 

Registered by J. Lewis in 1989 - it is a Diploid. 

 It is a healthy plant, has increased in size, dormant, and blooms rather late in the season.  Mine has numerous buds on each scape and the plant is full of flowers.  The flowers sometimes last well into the evening.  The only down side to the plant is it doesn't easily shed it's dead flowers - they must be deadheaded to look neat. 

It's a sweet little daylily and in that aspect it mimics my granddaughter perfectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment