Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Foxy Lady

Digitalis aka Foxglove aka Beardtongue.

Foxglove is a beautiful perennial for full sun to partial shade.  It's dramatic flowers, hanging down like little bells, are on a 36 inch stalk.  Often seen in the woodlands (Foxglove Beardtongue aka Penstemon digitalis) is an easy to grow from seed wildflower.

I've tried to grow the hybrid versions for years and absolutely not one has ever lived.  Sane people would give up.  In the spring, in the filled perfect commercial green house, in the gotta have that beautiful plant frenzy - apparently I give in to eternal optimism or loss of memory (which ever it seems I bring home another digitalis plant.)

They are hardy to Zone 4 so they don't freeze out.  I've suspected they may fall victim to the toxicity from walnut trees.  They might not have had enough moisture over the past couple of years.  Who knows.  And, apparently who cares because I brought home two more this spring.  Call me crazy - well really I rather you didn't but it borders I admit.

This year I brought home the hybrid Digitalis purpurea  "Foxy Hybrid".  Since I've done a lot (I mean A LOT) of weeding, trimming, pruning, and cutting out, I planted these in a semi shaded area in the big south bed.  And proceeded to forget them.

As I was deadheading my daylilies in that portion of the garden,  there before my very eyes was a blooming digitalis - wooohoooo!

They are a favorite of hummingbirds.  They need to self seed to stay productive.   

No comments:

Post a Comment