Sunday, September 1, 2013

Labor Day 2013

Here we are at Labor Day weekend and wishing for some much needed rain.  40% chance of storms and we're gearing up for another full day of activity.

Yesterday I watered my garden, pots of annuals and the few things recently planted/transplanted.  I can seriously hear the water being sucked away.  A few things have simply given it up.

On the flip side, I'm so enjoying fresh tomatoes.  I can enjoy a fresh cut tomato on about any other food for any meal no matter what.

Yesterday I prepped the food for today's lunch since family are coming over after church.  Having so much fresh produce was certainly my inspiration.  Potato salad with those lovely purple potatoes combined with a few red ones, sweet bell peppers, red onions, eggs, zucchini and it's mega yummy.  The purple potatoes have more starch in them, which was a surprise.

Cut up sweet banana peppers and cucumbers in prep for dressing the salad later.  Pickled some beets because I love them.  Cut up a locally grown muskmelon and a unique yellow watermelon (from Beagle Creek Farm).  The yellow watermelon is really sweet. A plate of deviled eggs because it's tradition.  

Have easy cold sliced ham for sandwiches and I'll put on a crock pot of mac and cheese for the kids.  A plate of sliced tomatoes, onions and peppers should round out the field for the starving.

We are blessed with family and friends to share our holiday, whether near or far.  Hope your summer bounty is full of fresh produce, loved ones and the blessings of living in a free nation.  I pray for all of these.

(Photos from Pinterest)  

No comments:

Post a Comment