Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Dad's Best White

If you've often read my blog, you know I'm crazy about daylilies.  I've spared you recently by not writing non stop about them and today I'll bring them back.  Let me wax on . . .

"Dad's Best White" is a daylily you'll want to get if you want E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.

I ordered DBW from Oakes Daylilies and it was a grand total of $9 - that's a bargain.  It was hybridized by Viette and registered in 1984.

The six inch flowers are a light yellow/cream with a small green eye.  They shimmer with a pearlized finish.  They're large enough to make an impact.  The petals are thin which makes them look like they are floating on the plant.

The scapes are considered self-branching - meaning they will have many opportunities for flowers.  They are about 28 inches tall so planting near the front of your garden bed gives them ample viewing.

They are considered a single flower (meaning no frilly petals in the middle), a diurnal and a diploid for those of you who are into the specifics.   They bloom mid-season.


What makes this an outstanding daylily is it is covered with flowers for approximately 45 days consistently every year no matter what the conditions.

The flowers aren't damaged by average summer sun, wind or rain.  They open cleanly and close tightly making it easy to deadhead.

I have no other daylily that is as consistent and as fully flowered as this variety.

The light cream color is a perfect foil for other bright daylilies or perennials.  It pulls the bed together through it's neutral color.  This doesn't mean it isn't a show stopper because it's mass of flowers draws attention.

The clump increases in size and it can easily be divided over and over.

Try some white daylilies in your garden.  So easy to care for and so beautiful.  I bought this one to add to my family garden in memory of my dad, Ward Shenk.  Since the chances of finding a daylily named "ward" was slim, I settled for Dad's Best White and I've not regretted it once in the five years it's been in my garden.

Side note:  The difference in color between pictures has to do with several things:  Time of day, cloudy or sunny, the year and where I'm standing in relationship to the light.


No comments:

Post a Comment