Monday, January 20, 2020

A Spot of Tea?

This isn't my picture but it's a cutie example.
As I was walking the isles of T .J. Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods, I was seeing LOTS of teapots.  You know those pretty little painted pots every British sitcom has during every conversation whether it's a murder, romance or news show.

Has there been a revival of serving tea in the US - In pretty little pots?  In an era when hurry, easy and immediate are everything?  

I thought maybe it was a misadventure from some manufacturing firm but I checked the more upscale lines and they, too, had tea pots of every variety.

Whatever the reason, there's a great use for thrift store teapots or that collection you've pushed back into the corner kitchen cabinet.  

They make great birdhouses!  

The reason (besides being pretty) is they already have a door (the top), they're easy to clean (size), they have sufficient drainage (the spout) and they have an easy way to hang (the handle.)  Win win win and win! 

I've used teapots, coffee pots and water pitchers for years as bird houses.  Screwed to a tree or hung by the handle, they are sturdy and easy.  Here are a couple of mine:

An old metal coffee pot screwed to the wall.

Aluminum water pitcher screwed to the wall.
This may seem like a waste of good silver but I found (when I sent mine to auction) that no one wants silverplate anymore.  It sold for less than a birdhouse - I wish I'd kept it for just that.
   And all of these four are from Pinterest where you can see several hundred more ideas from simply hanging to fancy affairs.  

Side notes:  

  • If you plan to drill a hole in the bottom so you can screw a ceramic pot to a surface, there's a good chance it will break the entire pot.  I noticed some were wired to boards and others appear to have been super glued.  
  • Some (as shown in the silver coffee pot above) have the opening modified to entice certain birds.  Not all birds like a big entry to their house because it's easier access for predators.  
  • I put some of my pots under the garage overhang to help shield them from heavy rain.
  • Other examples show them used as bird feeders but I envision this being a messy labor intensive projectThis Pinterest example has a few more fun additions for those who have woodworking talent.  


Thrift store pots are often really cheap because they apparently haven't got the word "American loves tea pots".  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment