Saturday, April 17, 2010

Darned If I Remember

This is the time of the year when I look at my beds and think:

A. It looks like some of my tulips have stopped blooming.
B. Boy, I sure wish I had planted more Spring flowering bulbs last Fall.
C. I'm sure I'll remember this Fall to fill that space with some bulbs.

In the Fall, I look at my beds and think:

A. Now where were those tulips that have stopped blooming?
B. Darn I hate planting bulbs when it's already turned so cold.
C. I have no idea where it was I wanted those bulbs planted.

I can state the above because I've done this routine almost every year I've gardened. BUT, this year I have a new plan.

After I've put down my newest layer of mulch, I'm taking a can of yellow spray paint and making a circle of where I want bulbs. It's not like there will be thousands but too often all the remains of a summer's worth of flowers hides any traces of where I might plant.

I don't want to dig up good bulbs or put in places that don't show well in the Spring. I figure yellow won't be too noticeable through the Summer and Fall foliage yet will still mark the spots.

I've noticed several of my tulip patches aren't producing or have slowed. Tulips are considered a short lived perennial and this is to be expected. I've tried digging and replanting and fertilizing but eventually they just stop putting on flowers.

Have you ever noticed buying 100 daffodils in the Summer sounds reasonable but in the Fall you seriously think you've lost your mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment