Sunday, April 18, 2010

Garden Art Awards

It's important for gardeners to be supportive of other gardeners' designs.
It's important that we don't impose our own taste as the only "good" designs.
It's important we don't become so judgemental of the efforts of others, we stifle creativity.
That said, I may do all of that and more when I feature some garden "objects" that defy my own sensibilities for garden design. I do realize for every one of these, there may be a person out there who says, "Gee that's really cool, I think I'll get one."
And the award goes to:
I call this my "personal favorite" for the "Are You Kidding Me Award". It was called the Black Tick and was made of "found objects." Let me say this, "some objects should not have been found and should not have been made into a black garden tick."

This little number, called Robot was listed for $28. My thought was if it was given to Mom or Grandma, then put it in the garden until the kids grow old enough to be embarrassed and then remove. It gets my "Simulated 3rd Grade Art Class Award".




This was listed for $130 and the artist said it was fine art (which allows the artist to do something totally odd and say it has deep significance to sensitive types). He called it "Dove Hands" which has now received my "Huh? Award".


This one is from Bruno Torf's sculpture garden, called Tree Figure and I actually kinda like it. It receives my "Warning - May Scare Little Children Award".






This little number, called Three Eyed, sells for $75 to the hunter who has everything and wants to expand his dead room into the garden (you know who you are). This one gets my "You're Creeping Me Out - Now Stop It Award".

These are a handful of garden objects de' art I found this morning on the net for your viewing pleasure - there were thousands to choose from on e-Bay, Etsy, and some garden blogs.

The trick with using garden art: If you can't resist going totally over the top, then be prepared for critiques, complaints or to be forced to install a tall privacy fence. The good thing about some of this, it sure does allow a sense of humor to laugh out loud and that's not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment