Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Earth Day

Photo from "Everyday Wildlife Champions" Facebook page.


Earth Day turns 40 years old today.

NORAD and USNORTHERN Command says about the environment, "We need to conserve water, energy, and take good care of our environment for the benefit of all human beings not only for our generation but also for other succeeding generations ahead of us."

WQAD's meteorologist, Anthony Peoples, termed it "conserve and recycle" day.

Everyday Wildlife Champions quoted, "It's doing simple tasks, little by little, to make a huge difference."

For myself, I view saving the planet issues much like I do my political issues: "I'm not a Republican and I'm not a Democrat." I read and then decide which side of an issue to stand.

The learning process: I was enthusiastic about this one well-known conservation group to the point I gave them money. Then I learned to read the "fine print" and found out they used their money in ways they don't put out front in the advertising and in ways I didn't agree. Now, I always read the fine print.

I really do care about this earth and I feel I'm responsible for not only making it a better place but insuring it's a better place for future generations. I don't tie myself to a tree over the loss of a mosquito but I do try to educate myself and practice sound ecological measures in my own gardens. I also use my little bit of visibility to help educate others on what they might do in their own backyards.

I've certainly been Blessed by living in America. Daily, I wake to a beauty and bounty my imagination could not have dreamed. I praise and encourage our local farming communities and swell with pride that those very families have chosen to feed the world. I stand by the window at night and look at the vast sky and know I am a minority who are able to do this from the comfort and safety of my abundance. I'm grateful for those who choose to tackle the bigger environmental issues around the globe.

I'm not so happy with organizations, foundations or institutions who have gone off the mark by using environmentalism as a cover for political or financial gain.

Do we, as just one little citizen in one little town, have a responsibility: Most certainly; in each of our own ways and abilities. Now go have yourself a "Happy Earth Day"!

No comments:

Post a Comment