Monday, May 3, 2010

So Happy I Could Sing

Zinnias
A mix of petunias, bachelor buttons, perennial daisy and cleomes.




"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it
I'm so excited and I just can't hide it
And I know ~ I know ~ I know ~ I know ~ I know ~ I want you!"
Lyrics from "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer Sisters

Honestly, these lyrics are me about ten minutes after entering a local nursery on my quest to buy a "few" annual flowers. I go in with the self discipline of a rock. But then, my heart starts beating faster and I look like one of those crazed game show contestants rushing from bounty to bounty.

That adrenaline rush, the glazed eyes, lack of self control, sensible principals and self discipline go out the window as I rush from beauty to beauty. "I know ~ I know ~ I know ~ I know ~ I know ~ I want you!"

As we've entered the phase of our life called "retired" otherwise known as "watching your finances so you don't outlive your savings", I've employed more control. I stop and breath and consider priorities. OK, that's out of the way, "I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"!

A few old garden favorites that always draw me: Zinnias, nasturtiums, snapdragons, bachelor buttons, cleomes, marigolds and four-o'clocks. I've planted these from seed for as long as I've been gardening and now nurseries are carrying them in plant set form. Whoohoo, instant gratification. I did mention the whole instant gratification thing didn't I???? "I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!"

I've always said a gardener can rationalize a purchase faster and better than the most hard line addict. I'm just thankful my addiction is flowers; it at least puts a respectable covering over my issues and isn't nearly as hard on the body and mind (although that's debatable.)

Fortunately, varieties of the old garden annuals are usually reasonably priced and I never need lots. Just a small four-pack to place here and there. A gentle reminder of the simplicity of the old flowers and the continued beauty.

When walking through my gardens, I often pick just a couple of flowers from these heirloom annuals and put in a little vase. I use the word "sweet" as I walk by or get a whiff of their fragrance.

I haven't bought my annual flowers yet, but, it's getting close and "I'm So Excited!"

No comments:

Post a Comment