Monday, June 27, 2011

We Do The Walk

I made this little apron from fabric and trim scraps.  Originally, I planned to use it for a homemade version of Leman's clothespin bag.  But (there's always a "but" in garden stories), one day I grabbed it when I did my morning garden walk. 
Especially during daylily season, I like to start the day with my camera for the latest beautiful shot.  I keep a semi-decent recording of when something blooms in the yard and my thoughts.  I take my photos and post them to my external hard drive.  It's a (one of them) garden obsession.

Even though my camera hangs from a strap around my neck, I was always dropping or fumbling with the other stuff. The morning I grabbed the apron, easier set into the routine.

I usually carry (in addition to the camera) a small notebook, pencil (writes in rain), an OFF clip-on mosquito repellent, my seasonal allergy handkerchief (sigh), small clippers/scissors, sunglasses and whatever.  And everyone knows a gardener can't step into their garden without bending over to do something.  This apron falls forward and things don't empty out of the pockets.

If I was making another, I might add a small loop on the waistband to hold the Off clip out of the way of the pockets.

In case you are wanting to make a similar apron this is my best shot as describing:

Finished: 
  • 14 inches from top of waistband to bottom of hemmed seam.
  • 14 inches from side to side.
  • 2 inch deep waistband (I didn't line it since I was using a sturdy fabric)
  • 6 foot long waistband (This allows a coat to be under it)
  • 5 inch inset for pocket tops and 5 inch side drop.  (If you have large hands make larger.) 
  • 5 inches between top of pockets
The entire back of the apron is the back of the pockets.  I used 1/2 inch seams to make cutting/measuring/and turning easy.

Cut:
2 - pieces of apron fabric the same size for the body of the apron.
  •   Fold both the top and bottom in half and cut the rounded  bottom edges in equal measurements. 
  • Fold the front in half and cut out rounded pockets at the top.
Cut out the waistband.  Press all pieces.

I used some cotton lace to trim the pockets and give them strength.  The bought version uses seam binding.  I recommend one or the other since the pockets will get quite a bit of wear & pull.

I double stitched everything for strength.  First hem and trim the pocket openings.  Put wrong sides of the apron body together and stitch around the outside (do not stitch around the pocket openings).  Turn and stitch the entire outside edge.  Where the pocket cut out is will have to be rolled and stitched. 

Press the length of the waistband in half.  Press under the edges 1/2 inch and the end under 1/2 inch.  Stitch the back side of the apron to the backside of the waistband.  Fold the waistband over towards the front and pin entire waistband together including turning in the ends.  Stitch together. 

I know I'm not very good at describing the sewing process - hopefully you will have some knowledge of patterns and sewing and can visualize what I'm describing. OR, there is always the Leman's product. 

My fabric was a durable heavy cotton canvas type.  Denim or any tough outside materials would work also.  Lightweight materials will not hang stiff enough to be easily used.  It should be washable.  Because of the waistband, it can be looped over a hook when not in use.  

This was my inspiration:  Lehman's clothespin apron.   www.lemans.com  It sells in the red, a blue or black and for about $25.  In case you haven't visited their web store, it's one of the best for quality functional and mostly non-electric devices for home and homesteads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment