Friday, November 29, 2013

Procrastination!

I tried a variety of Chinese Cabbage that doesn't form a head.  All the large leaves come off the stalk.  It's green, doesn't grow extremely fast and doesn't bolt.  

It did really well in our drought conditions this year.  It was bothered by cabbage moths because I didn't use an insecticide.   A few holes in the leaves didn't hurt it enough that they weren't usable.  

I didn't particularly like the taste of it raw.  It was more bitter than I enjoy.  So, the plants pretty much grew and grew until after the first few frosts.


I'm too cheap to let it go totally to waste so one cold morning I ventured out with heavy knife in hand to harvest some big cabbage leaves.  

After washing and taking off the large middle vein, I dropped them into a pot of boiling water.  This cabbage is sturdy enough to not go to mush when boiled.  And it's then I found it tastes wonderful after it's been cooked.

It keeps it's shape but isn't tough.  It looses the bitter taste and become mildly peppery.  It doesn't have the familiar cabbage taste or smell.  Rather like cooking mustard, kale or other hardy greens.  It freezes well, retaining the color and flavors.  

Sometimes procrastination serves me well!   

No comments:

Post a Comment