Friday, January 22, 2010

Not the "Clubie" Sort


After years in a corporate environment, I seldom get involved in anything where I must vote, raise my hand, or keep to an agenda where I have no interest. If it's not for the "greater cause", it takes away too much time from the things I do want to accomplish.
There are so many worthwhile and/or interesting things we can help or enjoy, we must pick and choose wisely.
I try to balance helping others with some things that are purely for personal enjoyment. My daylilies don't help mankind in any life altering way. But, I'm not of the school that feels if you aren't in a hair shirt 24/7 then your life is wasted.
From years of mentoring young people in the work place, I've found people are generally better at their jobs and improving mankind if they have a healthy balance with between their work life and their home life. With no outside interests (such as home, family, spiritual, volunteering, hobbies), the scope of an employee's ability to contribute value to a business is more limited.
With my need to explain all that done, I proceed:
I've inserted a picture of the American Hemerocallis Society's poster encouraging daylily lovers to join the organization. I do belong and have received value by the enjoyment it brings to me. Now, I'm contemplating another step in my daylily mania: a local group.
There is no Daylily Society located close to me and I'm really sure I don't want to drive a long distance just to attend meetings. I've been mulling it over - the benefits - the down side.
I'm just sure I don't want this to become something that needs a mission statement, dues, or other formal organizational fundimentals. I don't want the expectations of an orgnaization to outweigh the benefits of daylily enjoyment.
I do know daylily lovers are friendly and caring individuals from the most well known hybridizer to the newbie. It might be fun to visit some daylily gardens, share information, and enjoy this hobby with others.
If you live in the vicinity of Bishop Hill, Illinois and have any interest in this, please let me know and you can "mull" with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment