Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rock Star


Images are from the 2009 "Howard Hite Award for Hybridizing Excellence" winner, James (Jamie) Gossard.
The green daylily is "Green Inferno", a 2010 introduction in the spider class. ($150)
The cream daylily is "Pattern Maker", a 2010 introduction in the pattern class. ($200)
The wine purple daylily is "Supernatural", a 2010 introduction in the pattern class. ($300)
Jamie and Diana Gossard are the owners of "Heavenly Gardens" in Galloway, Ohio. Like most who hybridize, they have specific areas where they concentrate their time and money. The Gossards explore the genetic possibilities available in the daylily to produce vibrant colors, intricate patterns, teeth and eyes and edges of different forms. Jamie's most extensive work is to pattern his flowers.
Although none of today's breeders could be where they are now without the hundred(s) of years prior breeders have contributed, Jamie has taken it to a whole new level. Not only beautiful and different shapes but they must be hardy. There are many more innovations he uses but it gets into daylily hybridizing and may be too much information for the average reader.
Now to the rock star thing:
I've been recording garden and daylily displays which are open to the public. Then, when my husband and I travel, we can incorporate these into the trip. Most breeders and many display gardens are private and must be called prior to visiting.
The ones that are private, I wrote and asked if, when and how to visit. As are most gardeners, they were kind in their replies. Then I get a personal and casual reply from Jamie Gossard. I reacted like a kid at a Rolling Stone concert when Mick Jagger asks them to come back stage (without the sexual overtones mind you). That's when I realized to a person possessed of "Daylily Madness - IE: me" it was like getting a note from a rock star.
I do know I'm going to have to work at not being star struck if we get to his gardens - the whole autograph, picture and giggling is so inappropriate at my age.
Would it be odd to have my picture taken with a lily - this is probably where my husband will roll his eyes.
To read more about "Heavenly Garden" and James and Diana Gossard's work, visit:
or the American Hemerocallis Society, Winter 2009 "Daylily" Region 2 Newsletter at








No comments:

Post a Comment