Tuesday, January 5, 2010

To diagram - that is the question.


The photograph has the actual bed that is shown diagrammed.

The hand drawn picture is of this bed in my yard. The drawing isn't fancy and might even be confusing to others, but, it serves me well.


The typed list is plants that I've identified and their placement per the diagram.



The best part of something like this is it really doesn't matter if it's pretty, well done, or draftsman quality; it serves my purpose.



To be honest, the main purpose is it's fun for me.



Note also the yellow and blue lines. These are important because they document where the underground gas and electric run. This documentation is pretty important when it comes to digging (I know from an embarrassing event a few years ago - thank you Pat Duystchaver and Steve Hart for the help!)




You don't have to draw well to accomplish a diagram. There are computer programs that do this but they are more expensive than I chose to pay. I used a small ruler and a piece of paper and most importantly a pencil. There will be much erasing on diagrams.


Being able to erase a plant symbol that is moved, has died, or was mislabeled is essential to a good plan. The typed list is on my computer and items can be deleted and added as needed.


I made up my own particular code for hard scapes. I did try to remember to make it simple enough for the next owner of this home to have a little idea of what they had purchased.


I make pencil notes on both sheets during the summer and then tidy it up in the winter. Like the big business deal that is recorded on the cocktail napkin - I may include a torn piece of dirty scrap newspaper with a note. Only proves I didn't want to take my shoes and gloves off to record my notes.


Professional landscapers will also color some of the picture diagrams.


Think of your garden and bed diagrams as a detailed photograph. If this is too detailed please realize the mind does wander in the cold evenings of January. Never one to use the word "bored", I consider thinking a valuable pastime.

2 comments:

  1. Great page my friend, you are so talented. Can you diagram my empty lot with plants and tree that will lower the water table. 2 post hole digs and water. Hugs Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, get an estimate to have the two lots tiled to drain both better - then see where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete