Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Patience is a Virtue

I was raised in an era where a part of public schooling was learning "life lessons" in the manner of old words of wisdom.  

Meeting my 7th grade teacher at Dad's 90th birthday party and being asked if I remember her after many MANY years brought only the saying, "A word to the wise is sufficient." to mind - not her name.  Apparently I needed to hear that over and over to the point it was more ingrained than the late Mrs. Mary Wooldridge's name in my memory.

I'm in the process of teaching my five year old grand daughter some of those sayings because they really are instructions on how to live.  I now know "Patience is a Virtue" has been learned because she rolls her eyes when I use it.  


For parents or grand parents wanting to teach life lessons to children, the garden is a book waiting to be shared.  Some examples:

Patience is a Virtue:  Planting seeds, tending and watching them grow (or fail to grow).  As Joyce Meyers said today, "We often make the mistake of thinking that if we hurry we will be at our future sooner, but it only causes us to lose the present."  It is no less apparent than in the plant growing process.

A Word to the Wise is Sufficient:  How often have we been told a plant can't or shouldn't be grown in our hardiness zone and we plop down good money time after time in hopes it will do something more? 

A Stitch in Time Saves Nine:  You can use this one for soil preparation or killing a weed when first noticed.  Either way I know the meaning of this one from personal experience.

Penny Wise - Pound Foolish:  I'm sometimes too good with a bargain.  My example in buying a really good pair of shears this year.  I have bought dollar store cheap scissors for years and could have had a good pair of shears years ago for the many many cheap ones bought and broken.  

Hope Springs Eternal:  If any one saying describes a gardener, this one surely is at the top.  If I didn't have hope every single year in March, I would never have a flower.   

Don't Take Any Wooden Nickles:  This was a parting comment and came right after "goodbye."  A catalog stating they have a hydrangea plant with red, white and blue flowers for $8 is pretty much a wooden nickle.

Handsome is as Handsome Does:  Are you beginning to understand I needed some instruction early on?  My folks were "people of few words".   Hence, most of my instruction came in the form of these little gems and not long talks about the meaning of life.  As far as this one's garden application, a plant with a pretty flower that repeatedly misbehaves in my garden looses it's charm real fast.  

Stick to Your Own Knitting:  I was blessed with a family that didn't gossip or criticize others in front of their children.  I talk about this routinely in my garden articles in the manner of cautioning gardeners to stop being critical of other gardeners. Support each other - gardening is a perfect way to encourage and lift others up.

You Are What You Eat:  Oh my! I need to review that one often!  It might be said, "You are what you grow in your garden."

Take the Bull by the Horns:  This one was usually delivered with a gentle push to the backside.  And, after I had procrastinated way too long on a difficult project.  Seriously, I find simply thinking of this one makes me subconsciously straighten my shoulders.  Watch out new daylily bed I've got you by the horns!   

    

No comments:

Post a Comment