Monday, July 4, 2011

Standing on the Corner

     Here I am standing on the corner of 4th and Freedom.  It appears to me and I know I'm not your world expert here, but ...  It appears to me, most every country on this earth has the capacity and capabilities to feed and nourish it's citizens. 

In countries where the citizens thrive and have been able to care and nourish it's citizens, it's because that nation and it's leadership fosters an environment for the benefit of all it's citizens. 

How many countries in this world have impoverished citizens because the ground would never again grow crops, the water is too tainted to recover, and no way to make it better?  No matter what side of the "developing" issue you stand on, it isn't the dirt - it's the government's leadership.

I'm often in awe of this area of our world - the black soil, the abundant moisture, the lush growth.  Through the centuries it has changed (some better and some worse) but to date no one has stopped us from developing, enhancing, protecting and utilizing it for our citizens good health.

On this July 4th, I'm grateful I was born in this country where we continue to try to make a better life for everyone.  We are never done and we should never stop trying, but, we are still allowed to try.  I do hope as we celebrate July 4th, we take stock of just how fortunate we are and be grateful for those who have helped defend our freedoms. 

I pray we don't take this beautiful land for granted while it ever so silently slips away.


“Until he extends his circle of compassion to all living things,
man will not himself find peace.” 
- Albert Schweitzer
     

No comments:

Post a Comment